Thursday 11 December 2008

Day 85 - Running in the rain

My boys were out of school early for a parents meeting, so after hearing the report on my eldest son, I thought I would get out for a quick 5km.

However, the rain started. Undeterred, I got ready, took off my glasses and headed out. It was raining lightly and I really thought it would go off, but it actually got heavier as I went round the course.
Never mind, it kept me cool.

I started off, and I knew I was running quickly - well quicker than normal.
I started to slow down a little as I convinced myself that I could up the pace nearer home rather than in the beginning.

At approx. 2 miles I checked my watch to find how far I had run, and saw that it was exactly 2 miles and the time a little over 17 minutes.
Immediately, psychologically I felt out of breath...
But, I decided that if I ran that pace it would be a PR - so I kept going.

As I came along the last 1km I felt out of breath, but could see I was running an easy pace, but quickly. As I turned onto the last 500 metres I managed to up the pace but without sprinting.

The final time was 25 minutes 58 seeconds.
8.20 pace

Splits
1- 8.35
2- 8.27
3- 8.04
final - 7.24

65% heart rate in Zone 5, so I was running a little faster than I should, or what is comfortable.

39 seconds quicker than my best 5km up till now.

Weigh In yesterday
79.9kg

Glad to still be under 80kg - but it seems to be itching to get back up over 80kg and New Year is approaching...

No comments: